The ‘Climate Solutions through Technology and Financing in Central America’ workshop sought to support countries in achieving the objectives established in their NDCs through the identification of priority areas of intervention, the most appropriate technologies for mitigation and adaptation, and the concrete programmes and project initiatives to be implemented.
Proposals submitted under the CTCN/UNIDO call for proposals will contribute to the achievement of SDGs 1 (no poverty), 5 (gender equality), 6 (clean water and sanitation), 7 (affordable and clean energy), 8 (decent work and economic growth), 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure), 10 (reduced inequalities), 12 (responsible consumption and production) and 13 (climate action).
24 October 2017: The Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN), UN Environment (UNEP) and the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI) convened a workshop to help advance climate action through technology and financing in Central America. The CTCN and the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) issued calls for proposals under five technical assistance projects that promote several Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Themed ‘Climate Solutions through Technology and Financing in Central America,’ the workshop sought to support countries in achieving the objectives established in their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) through the identification of priority areas of intervention, the most appropriate technologies for mitigation and adaptation, and the concrete programmes and project initiatives to be implemented. Participants identified energy efficiency, electric mobility, water efficiency and coastal resilience as priority areas for the region requiring technical and financial support. The workshop took place in Panama from 18-20 October 2017. [CTCN Press Release] [CABEI Press Release]
The CTCN and UNIDO call for proposals aims to advance five individual technical assistance projects:
- Improving capacity for recycling of waste and organic materials in Gambia, contributing to SDGs 5 (gender equality), 7 (affordable and clean energy), 12 (responsible consumption and production) and 13 (climate action) [Improving Capacity for Recycling of Waste and Organic Materials]
- Support awareness raising and training of local producers of metal-ceramic fireplaces in Guinea, contributing to SDGs 1 (no poverty), 7, 8 (decent work and economic growth), 10 (reduced inequalities) and 13 [Support Awareness Raising and Training of Local Producers of Metal-ceramic Fireplaces]
- Accelerating the transition to sustainable mobility and low carbon emissions in Panama City, Panama, contributing to, inter alia, SDGs 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure) and 13
- Application of environmental flows and river basin management framework for the Tebicuary river basin in Paraguay, contributing to SDGs 6 (clean water and sanitation) and 13 [Application of Environmental Flows and River Basin Management Framework for the Tebicuary River Basin]
- Piloting rapid uptake of industrial energy efficiency and efficient water utilization in selected sectors in Zimbabwe, contributing to SDGs 6, 7, 9 and 13 [Piloting Rapid Uptake of Industrial Energy Efficiency and Efficient Water Utilization in Selected Sectors]
The CTCN is the implementation arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism, hosted by UN Environment and UNIDO. [UNIDO Procurement Portal] [CTCN/UNIDO Call for Proposals] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]
* * *
The SDG Knowledge Hub publishes regular capacity building and technology updates that can be found under the tag Climate Change Capacity Building and Technology Update.