ICCM5 is expected to convene from 25-29 September 2023 at the World Conference Center in Bonn, Germany. It will be preceded by the resumed fourth session of the Intersessional Process for Considering the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) and the Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste Beyond 2020 (IP4.3), which will convene from 23-24 September 2023.
ICCM5 was originally scheduled to take place in October 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Fifth Session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM5) was rescheduled for 5-9 July 2021. In February 2021, it was postponed indefinitely. In August 2022, countries were advised to get prepared for the third quarter of 2023.
The ICCM undertakes periodic reviews of the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM), which is a policy framework to promote chemical safety around the world.
The functions of the ICCM are to:
- receive reports from all relevant stakeholders on progress in implementation of SAICM and to disseminate information as appropriate;
- evaluate the implementation of SAICM with a view to reviewing progress against the 2020 target and taking strategic decisions, programming, prioritizing and updating the approach as necessary;
- provide guidance on implementation of SAICM to stakeholders;
- report on progress in implementation of SAICM to stakeholders;
- promote implementation of existing international instruments and programmes;
- promote coherence among chemicals management instruments at the international level;
- promote the strengthening of national chemicals management capacities;
- work to ensure that the necessary financial and technical resources are available for implementation;
- evaluate the performance of the financing of SAICM;
- focus attention and call for appropriate action on emerging policy issues as they arise and to forge consensus on priorities for cooperative action;
- promote information exchange and scientific and technical cooperation;
- provide a high‑level international forum for multi‑stakeholder and multi-sectoral discussion and exchange of experience on chemicals management issues with the participation of non‑governmental organizations in accordance with applicable rules of procedure; and
- promote the participation of all stakeholders in the implementation of SAICM.
The SDG Knowledge Hub summary of ICCM4 is here.
Earth Negotiations Bulletin coverage of the ICCM process is here.
To receive SDG event notices, news, and analysis in your inbox, subscribe.
dates: 23-29 September 2023
location: Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany