The ICCM was originally scheduled to take place in October 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Fifth Session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM5) has been rescheduled to take place from 5-9 July 2021.
The ICCM undertakes periodic reviews of the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM), which is a policy framework to promote chemical safety around the world.
The functions of the ICCM are to:
- receive reports from all relevant stakeholders on progress in implementation of SAICM and to disseminate information as appropriate;
- evaluate the implementation of SAICM with a view to reviewing progress against the 2020 target and taking strategic decisions, programming, prioritizing and updating the approach as necessary;
- provide guidance on implementation of SAICM to stakeholders;
- report on progress in implementation of SAICM to stakeholders;
- promote implementation of existing international instruments and programmes;
- promote coherence among chemicals management instruments at the international level;
- promote the strengthening of national chemicals management capacities;
- work to ensure that the necessary financial and technical resources are available for implementation;
- evaluate the performance of the financing of SAICM;
- focus attention and call for appropriate action on emerging policy issues as they arise and to forge consensus on priorities for cooperative action;
- promote information exchange and scientific and technical cooperation;
- provide a high‑level international forum for multi‑stakeholder and multi-sectoral discussion and exchange of experience on chemicals management issues with the participation of non‑governmental organizations in accordance with applicable rules of procedure; and
- promote the participation of all stakeholders in the implementation of SAICM.
The SDG Knowledge Hub summary of ICCM 4 is here.
To receive SDG event notices, news and analysis in your inbox, subscribe.
dates: 5-9 July 2021
location: Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany