The Act #ForNature Forum is the first global consultation in preparation for the fifth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-5), which will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, in February 2021. The forum will be convened under the leadership of Sveinung Rotevatn, President of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA) and Minister of Climate and Environment of Norway, and Inger Andersen, Under Secretary-General of the UN and Executive Director of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP).
The forum is aimed at supporting actions for nature to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and will include several events, as follows:
The International Consultation of Major Groups and Stakeholders for UNEA-5 is a one-day online consultation that will take place on 7 June. Participation in all sessions of the consultation is open to all accredited organizations and some sessions are open also to the general public.
This will be followed by virtual “Global Townhalls” taking place from 8-10 June, on the following tentative themes:
- Townhall 1: Investing in nature to limit the impact and future emergence of zoonotic diseases
- Townhall 2. Adapt to thrive: transformational change for nature and business
- Townhall 3. Turning the tide on marine litter
- Townhall 4. Connecting People and Nature: transforming the global food system
- Townhall 5. Youth voices for Nature: environmental governance in the time of COVID-19.
Townhalls 1-4 are organized by UNEP, while Townhall 5 is organized by the Children and Youth Major Groups.
Finally, there will be the Joint Preparatory Retreat of the Bureaux of the UN Environment Assembly and the Committee of Permanent Representatives, which is open to invited members only.
To receive SDG event notices, news and analysis in your inbox, subscribe.
dates: 7-10 June 2020