Mongolia, Albania, Madagascar, Indonesia, Eritrea Submit INDCs
story highlights

The UNFCCC Secretariat has reported that Mongolia, Albania, Madagascar, Indonesia, and Eritrea have formally submitted their intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs), bringing the total number of Parties to have done so to 73.

mongolia_albania_madagascar_indonesia_eritrea24 September 2015: The UNFCCC Secretariat has reported that Mongolia, Albania, Madagascar, Indonesia and Eritrea have formally submitted their intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs), bringing the total number of Parties to have done so to 73.

Mongolia’s contribution outlines policies and measures that it commits to implement up to 2030 in the energy and transport, industry, agriculture and waste sectors. These measures, which include efficient use of energy in both transport and heat and power, are expected to result in a 14% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions as compared to a business as usual (BAU) scenario. This estimate excludes the land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) sector. Targeted gases in these sectors are carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O). On adaptation, the country summarizes its needs and identifies goals and activities in the following sectors: animal husbandry; arable farming; water resources; forest resources; and natural disaster management.

The Albanian INDC puts forward a mitigation objective of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions 11.5% relative to projected future emissions by 2030. The country intends to use international carbon markets for “cost‐effective implementation of the low-emission development pathway and its sustainable development” by selling carbon credits, assuming effective accounting rules are developed. The INDC targets the energy and industrial processes sectors and, in terms of gases covered, includes CO2. The INDC does not address adaptation.

The submission from Madagascar includes a conditional target of reducing emissions by 14% by 2030 relative to a BAU reference scenario. The INDC is conditioned on the provision of financial support from global partners. To achieve this mitigation target, Madagascar lays out policy actions in the agriculture, LULUCF, waste and energy sectors, such as improving energy efficiency. The INDC covers CO2, CH4 and N2O, as fluorinated gases’ use and emissions are extremely low. The Party also lists priority actions on adaptation for the pre-2020 period, as well as actions to be undertaken between 2020 and 2030.

Indonesia’s INDC sets unconditional targets of reducing GHG emissions by 26% against a BAU scenario by 2020 and by 29% by 2030. In addition, the country provides a conditional target of increasing its 2030 goal by an additional 12%, to make the total reductions reach 41%. The energy and transport, industrial processes and product use, agriculture, LULUCF and waste sectors are covered by the INDC, which focuses on CO2, CH4 and N2O. Indonesia welcomes the use of markets, but states that it will meet its unconditional target regardless of their existence. Included in an annex is the ‘Indonesia Climate Resilience Strategy.’

The contribution submitted by Eritrea communicates a target of reducing emissions from fossil fuels by 23.1% in 2020, 30.2% by 2025 and 39.2% by 2030 compared to the 2010 reference year. With additional support Eritrea indicates that reductions could reach 36.4% in 2020, 61.1% by 2025 and 80.6% by 2030. The INDC covers CO2, CH4 and N2O, and focuses on the energy, industry, transport, forestry, agriculture and waste sectors. In the energy sector, Eritrea intends to emphasize efficiency improvements. The submission further outlines adaptation contributions, describing the Party’s adaptation strategies in agricultural and forestry development, water resources development, land resource management, public health and marine resources development.

All Parties to the UNFCCC are expected to submit INDCs in advance of the Paris Climate Change Conference, which will take place in November-December 2015. Those submitted by 1 October 2015 will be included in a synthesis report on their aggregate effect by 1 November 2015. Parties are anticipated to agree on a global climate change agreement to take effect in 2020 at the Paris Climate Change Conference. [UNFCCC Press Release, Mongolia] [Mongolia’s INDC] [UNFCCC Press Release, Albania] [Albania’s INDC] [UNFCCC Press Release, Madagascar] [Madagascar’s INDC] [Madagascar’s INDC – English] [UNFCCC Press Release, Indonesia] [Indonesia’s INDC] [UNFCCC Press Release, Eritrea] [Eritrea’s INDC] [UNFCCC INDC Portal]


related events


related posts