The Technology Executive Committee published a brief titled ‘South-South and triangular cooperation on technologies for adaptation in the water and agriculture sectors’.
On 27 June 2017, in Cotonou, Benin, the UNFCCC, UN Environment and the UNEP-DTU Partnership held a training workshop to assist 12 African countries in conducting their technology action plans.
The Climate Technology Centre and Network published updates on, and calls for proposals in relation to, its ongoing technical assistance.
June 2017: Recent weeks have brought news regarding activities carried out under the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism. The Technology Executive Committee (TEC) issued a publication on South-South and triangular cooperation on adaptation technologies, and the Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN) published updates on its ongoing technical assistance, which contributes to the implementation of a number of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The UNFCCC, in collaboration with international partners, organized a technology action plans (TAPs) training for Africa. This Update brings you news on these recent developments.
The TEC – the policy arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism – published TEC Brief #9 titled ‘South-South and triangular cooperation on technologies for adaptation in the water and agriculture sectors.’ Set in the context of country efforts to implement their national adaptation plans (NAPs), nationally determined contributions (NDCs) and the SDGs, the publication explores how countries can harness South-South and triangular cooperation for accelerating the exchange of adaptation technologies, knowledge and practices in the water and agriculture sectors. It highlights challenges, best practices, lessons learned, along with the roles of stakeholders, in replicating and transferring such technologies. [South-South and Triangular Cooperation on Technologies for Adaptation in the Water and Agriculture Sectors] [Publication Landing Page] [CTCN Press Release] [SGD Knowledge Hub Story on Catalyzing the Implementation of NDCs in the Context of the 2030 Agenda through South-South Cooperation]
On 27 June 2017, in Cotonou, Benin, the UNFCCC, UN Environment (UNEP) and the partnership between UNEP and the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) (UNEP-DTU Partnership) held a training workshop to assist 12 African countries (Burundi, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Mauritania, Togo, Tunisia, the Gambia, Jordan, Mozambique, Seychelles, Swaziland and Tanzania) in conducting their TAPs. Themed, ‘Moving from Technology Needs to Implementation of Technology Actions,’ the workshop focused on ways to monitor the implementation of technology needs assessment (TNA) results, and explored the TNAs’ adaptation potential. [Workshop Agenda] [Workshop Webpage]
The CTCN – the implementation arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism, hosted by UN Environment (UNEP) and the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) – published updates on, and calls for proposals in relation to, its ongoing technical assistance, including:
- Strengthening technical capacities for the implementation of a Guatemalan online climate platform [CTCN/UNIDO Call for Proposals: Development of a Climate Change Information System for Adaptation Strategies in Guatemala] [Strengthening Technical Capacities for the Implementation of a Guatemalan Online Climate Platform] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]
- Technologies for coastal management of the province of Buenos Aires, Argentina, advancing SDGs 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure) and 13 (climate action) [CTCN/UNIDO Call for Proposals: Technologies for Coastal Management of the Province of Buenos Aires] [Technologies for Coastal Management of the Province of Buenos Aires] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]
- Technology of photovoltaic solar cell design and manufacturing in Iran, advancing SDGs 7 (affordable and clean energy), 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure) and 13 (climate action) [CTCN Update] [Technology of Photovoltaic Solar Cell Design and Manufacturing] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]
- Catalyzing low cost green technologies for sustainable water service delivery in northern Kenya [CTCN Update] [Catalyzing Low Cost Green Technologies for Sustainable Water Service Delivery in Northern Kenya] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]
- Green Cooling Africa Initiative (GCAI) in Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius and Namibia [CTCN Update] [GCAI] [CTCN Active Technical Assistance Webpage]