The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and Egypt’s Institute of National Planning will host this high-level policy dialogue on development in Africa, under the theme of 'Financing the SDGs in Africa: Strategies for Planning and Resource Mobilization'. The dialogue aims to provide a platform for African development planners and finance experts to discuss and deliberate on strategies for financing the Sustainable Development Goals in Africa, with a specific focus on mobilizing adequate resources for their timely and effective implementation, according to UNECA.
The high-level dialogue is expected to:
- assess funding requirements and gaps for realizing the SDGs in Africa;
- identify domestic and international funding sources, including innovative ones for SDG financing in Africa;
- enable African countries to exchange experiences on mobilizing resources, including good practices and lessons;
- discuss and agree on modalities for effectively linking development planning and finance; and
- make recommendations and identify elements of a resource mobilization framework for financing the SDGs in Africa.
The outcome document will contain action-oriented recommendations, and elements of a framework for mobilizing resources for SDG financing in Africa.
The high-level policy dialogue series was established by UNECA in 2014 to serve as a platform for coordination and experience sharing among African planners. The 2017 HLPD took place in Abuja, Nigeria, under the theme 'Mainstreaming the SDGs into National Development Plans'.
dates: 10-12 July 2018
location: Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
phone: +251 11 551 5826