The UN Environment Management Group (EMG), in collaboration with the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), will convene a dialogue under the theme, ‘Sustainable Food Systems: Ensuring Food Security for Future Generations’. Taking place in the margins of the fourth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-4), meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, from 11-15 March 2019, the event will bring together a diverse group of stakeholders to discuss innovative solutions to food systems and food security. The dialogue aims to:
- Highlight the need for a collaborative and integrated approach when addressing food systems;
- Raise the profile of sustainable food systems on the global policy agenda and with UN Member States;
- Showcase best practices and lessons learnt from existing collaboration on sustainable food systems;
- Encourage more integrated approaches to addressing food consumption, production and supply chains at national level by highlighting interlinkages between the environment and climate change, agriculture, education, health, livelihoods, and participatory governance; and
- Promote the development and adoption of new governance models needed to transform production and consumption of food to sustainable food systems.
The dialogue’s outcomes will be presented to the Leadership Dialogue on Sustainable Food Systems and other relevant events.
date: 12 March 2019
location: Nairobi, Kenya