The Geneva Environment Dialogues special COVID-19 series is focusing on the impacts of the pandemic on the global environmental agenda. Experts are concerned that the world is losing critical time to turn around alarming trends in biodiversity loss, climate change, sound management of chemicals and other environmental threats.
The International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM) undertakes periodic reviews of the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM), which is a policy framework to promote chemical safety around the world. The fifth session of the ICCM5 was scheduled to take place in October 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the session has been rescheduled to take place from 5-9 July 2021, in Bonn, Germany.
Speakers for the 19 May online dialogue will include:
- Nalini SHARMA, Head, SAICM Secretariat
- Manal AZZI, Senior Specialist on Occupational Safety and Health. International Labour Organization
- Carolyn VICKERS Head, Chemical Safety and Health Unit World Health Organization
- Valentina SIERRA, Permanent Mission of Uruguay to the UN in Geneva (ICCM5 Bureau)
- Giulia CARLINI, Staff Attorney, Environmental Health Program, Center for International Environmental Law
- Monika GAIL MACDEVETTE, Chief, Chemicals and Health Branch, UNEP
date: 19 May 2020